Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document How do I make a payment if I have received a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) for dental treatment?

You can make a payment via our website using a credit or debit card. Alternatively you can use a credit or debit card to pay via our automated payment line on 0300 330 1293.

Please be aware that if your reference number starts with BECS you will not be able to pay via our automated payment line at the moment. We are working to have this issue resolved as soon as possible.

We do not accept payment by American Express cards.

In order to make part payments towards your outstanding balance, please follow the instructions below:
  • If you're paying online, please change the amount in the 'How much are you paying today' box to what you've been advised to pay
  • If you're paying on the automated telephone line please choose the 'part payment' option and type the amount into your phone when prompted
If you are unable to pay by credit or debit card, you will need to make a cheque or postal order payable to 'NHS Business Services Authority'. Please also write your DECS/BECS reference number and your postcode on the back of your cheque or postal order and send it to the following address:

Dental Exemption Checking Service,
Bridge House,
152 Pilgrim Street,
Newcastle Upon Tyne,

These are the only available methods of payment. If you wish to make a payment but are unable to do so via one of these methods, it is acceptable for a 3rd party, such as a family member or friend, to pay on your behalf.


Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Does this answer your question?