Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document I have lived abroad due to my parents / partner being in the Armed Forces, can I still be classed as ordinarily resident?

If you were living overseas because either you, your parent(s) or partner are / were a member of the UK armed forces and you / they were obliged to accept an overseas posting, this can automatically be classed as temporary absence, providing the necessary evidence is provided.
Members of the British Army, Navy or Royal Air force and their children and spouses satisfy the temporary employment provision because they are bound by military law to accept overseas postings.
This exemption does not include armed forces personnel who are not engaged on active service (e.g. teachers or other support staff) as these are not under the same compulsory requirement to work abroad. It does not include reservists (Territorial Army, Naval Reserves, etc) or their families.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Does this answer your question?