Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What is an EEA migrant worker?

An EEA migrant worker is someone who:

  • Has been ordinarily resident in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years prior to the start of the academic year.
  • Is ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the academic year.
  • Has been awarded Migrant Worker status. If you are unsure of your immigration status you can check this with the UK Visas and Immigration.
You must also be in employment, or self – employed and the work must satisfy the following criteria:
  • The work must be in the UK.
  • The work can be full-time or part-time.
  • If you have given up work to start your NHS course, you will still be treated as a migrant worker if your course of study is related to your previous job or area of work.
  • If you have become involuntarily unemployed for example, if your post was made redundant, or if your contract ended and was not renewed, your previous job or area of work does not have to be related to your course of study. If you lost your job through misconduct, you would not be considered to be involuntarily unemployed.
  • It can be work that you are doing whilst you are on the course, unless it is part of the course or work you were offered only because you have been accepted on a particular course.
  • In order to be considered effective and genuine, the work must be lawful.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Does this answer your question?