Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document How do I apply for Dependants Allowance if I did not apply for it on my initial BOSS application?

You can submit an application for Dependants Allowance by logging into your online BOSS account and completing a Change of Circumstances. You will also automatically be assessed for Parent Learning Allowance (PLA) if applicable to you.
You can complete a change of circumstances if your original application is pending, active or assessed.

As you complete your Change of Circumstances form, please note the following:
  • If you wish to apply for Dependants Allowance for the full academic year, you should input your first term date (shown next to ‘Enrolment Period’ at the top right of your screen) as the ‘Change of Circumstances Date’.
  • Within the ‘Change of Circumstances Details’ section, you should note ‘apply for dependants’ in the free text box and select ‘Yes’ to the second question if you have a partner/spouse.
  • Within the ‘Dependants Allowance’ section, if you have a partner/spouse, you should answer ‘yes’ when asked if they are financially dependent on you. This is regardless of whether they have their own income.
Once your form has been submitted, you may need to supply additional evidence to support any extra information you have now declared. This could include;
  • Proof of all income and expenses declared on the dependants application.
  • Birth certificates or valid passports for all dependent children who you wish to claim for.
  • One form of ID for your partner / spouse (if applicable). If your partner is a non UK / EU national, we also require their passport or home office letter.
  • Evidence that your spouse, civil partner, partner is residing in the UK. For example a utility bills or bank statement
  • Child Benefit letter (a bank statement showing this can be accepted) or Child Tax Credit letter to prove that the child is dependent on you if you have a shared living arrangement for the child.
  • If the child is over 16 we would require proof that they are still in full time education.
  • If you are applying for an adult dependent, other than a spouse or partner, we would require evidence to prove they are financially dependent on you.
Your Dependants and Parent Learning (if applicable) Allowance entitlement will be calculated within 25 working days of us scanning all relevant evidence.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Does this answer your question?