Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Can I claim Dependants Allowance for children who do not live with me?

We will consider paying dependants allowance in the following circumstances:
  • If you are receiving Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit for the child (you will need to send evidence)
  • If you are making regular payments into an account for the child(ren). This is usually if you have come to the UK to study and the child remains abroad not because you have separated from the child’s other parent)
If your child(ren) live overseas, you should provide their birth certificates or passports. If the child is over school leaving age you should also provide evidence that they are in full time education.

Recent money transfer receipts should also be included as evidence that the children are financially dependent on you.

Please apply for the Dependants Allowance and submit any relevant evidence along with your student coversheet. Applications will be considered on a case by case basis. If your child overseas is over School leaving age then you will need to also need to provide evidence that the child is in further nor higher education.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Does this answer your question?