Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document How can I obtain a duplicate birth, marriage, divorce or death certificate?

If you require a copy of a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate that has been registered in England or Wales, you can normally order a copy from the General Register Office via Her Majesty’s Passport Office. For recent events registered within the last six months (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months), applications for duplicate certificates should be made to the Register Office in the district where the birth, death, marriage or civil partnership took place and not to the General Register Office.

Certificate Services Section
General Register Office
PO Box 2

Tel: 0300 123 1837

If you require a copy of a decree absolute or dissolution of a civil partnership, you can normally contact the court in which the divorce, dissolution or annulment was granted. The website below has an address search which can be used to find the contact details of the court. You may be able to obtain a copy from the Principal Registry of the Family Division.

The Principal Registry of the Family Division
First Avenue House
42-49 High Holborn

Tel: 020 7947 6000 (switchboard)

What do I need to send with my supporting evidence?

When sending any evidence, correspondence or paper applications you must include the following:
  • Student coversheet - You can print your student coversheet from the "Documents" section of your BOSS account. This contains your unique barcode reference which enables us to locate your BOSS record and link your documents to it.
  • Self-addressed pre-paid return envelope – This enables us to return your evidence to you. We recommend you pay Signed For or Special Delivery postage on this envelope so that you can track the return of your documents.
When posting anything to us, please also write your SBA reference number (you can obtain this from your student coversheet) in the first line of the postal address and your preferred return address on the back of the envelope that you are sending your documents in.

Failure to provide your student coversheet and a self-addressed envelope (if you're sending evidence to us) will result in the assessment of your application and the return of your documents being delayed. This could also possibly result in a delay to any payment of bursary due to you.
replacement, replacement, birth, death, marriage, civil, certificate, divorce, decree nisi, decree absolute
See also...