Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What are the two temporary safeguarding payments which are a part of devolving the global sum?

Drug Tariff Part XIVC sets out the temporary safeguarding arrangements put in place for instances where as a pharmacy, your business is adversely affected if prescriber's systematically increase prescription duration on all or a significant percentage of their prescription items.

This could lead to your pharmacy facing increased supplier bills in certain months (as more medicines are dispensed per prescription than usual) and then decreased prescription item volume in subsequent months.

Click here for more information on our website.

There are two payments available. However, before applying for these or submitting your claim, please make sure that you read Part XIVC of the Drug Tariff.

Claim 1: To provide support to pay an increase in supplier's bills

For a month where the prescription item duration has increased compared to that seen previously, as you will have dispensed significantly more medication per prescription item than usual, your advance (which is based on a historic net ingredient cost) is likely to be insufficient to cover your supplier bill for the month.

In these circumstances, you are able to claim for that month, for an increase in your advance via the Pharmacy Contractor Additional Advance/Compensatory Fee Claim Form (available via the above link). 

The amount that can be claimed should reflect the amount by which your supplier bill has increased solely due to the increase in prescription item duration and no other reason. 

Claim 2: Remuneration

For the months following an increase in prescription duration, you may experience a drop in items dispensed and as a result earn fewer fees.

In these circumstances, you are able to claim for an affected month, for any lost fees and allowances via the Pharmacy Contractor Additional Advance/ Compensatory Fee Claim Form (again available via the above link).


See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Does this answer your question?